Turf Show Times - All Posts

Monday, August 4, 2008

Hall of Famers - They make the choice!

Speaking as someone who has a true love for the game of American Football, I have to say that this past weekend as with every year is one of the highlights of 'my' season as a football fan. To see men who played the game at its highest level finally get their due is truly a great thing to witness and one I hope to experience in person some day by attending with my children. Last year was a time when I saw a man who had been through a lot and put himself through a lot to persevere and arrive into the "Fraternity of Greats". Michael Irvin gave a tear filled speech acknowledging his mistakes, recognizing the honor and giving words of wisdom. I feel that the reason that the blessing called NFL Network is because it was genuine and epitomized a person who truly understands the responsibility of being acknowledged as one of the greatest to play the game. Yet and still, I cannot say for sure that I think he should have received his honor before the great Art Monk, but I will not tarnish the honor by saying "coulda, shoulda, woulda". I was very proud and happy to see a man that truly is one of the pioneers of his position to get his bust into the great Hall. Then I had the chance to see all of their tenures. I saw that on average, they all played between 10 and 18 years in the league! It gives an even clearer view as to why Brett Favre could not hang his cleats up just yet. It helps me to understand that the greats are in love with the game and like with any good thing, it is hard to give it up. I also find it insulting with some of the media coverage over him and and how some have said that he is selfish or hurting the league.

My take on it is this: This man has given his best to the league for the last 16 years. When others (like my Rams' Orlando Pace, or Mr. Glass as I lovingly refer to him) are missing season after season due to injury, Brett keeps coming, battling pain and in past years addiction to give the Green Bay Packers his best. Now, because he changed his mind, he's "hurting the league", or "mistreating the Packers organization". That's a bunch of bull and Ted Thompson, Mike Murphy and the coach know it. Bottom line is that Brett has come upon years where he is wondering what he does now. His age says that he should retire, but his body, play and skills have taken a reverse. His body and play say, "We can do it!" So I say let him do it and so what if Aaron Rodgers can't handle the pressure. Word is from Packer Family Day, he was worthless on the field, so who gives you the best chance to make it back where you were last season? They were one game away from the Super Bowl. Does anyone really believe that Rodgers can get them back there? NO!

Brett will be giving another tear filled speech someday. That will be in Canton and it will be deserved just as the newest inductees deserved it. The 'greats' decide when it is time to hang it up whether it be by health or by choice. They decide, not their teams, not their fans and surely not their team president (preserving his legacy, come on!). Brett will choose when he takes his long walk home and he has shown that it damn sure isn't now. Truck on Brett! Love ya!

No comments: